BSW SCHOLARS PROGRAM
The BSW Scholars is a joint program in partnership with the New York City Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) and Children’s Corps. Together, the program offers eligible candidates a three-year journey that leads them seamlessly to full-time employment in one of NYC’s child welfare agencies. The BSW scholars program consists of a senior year field placement and a full time job placement after graduation.
HOW DOES THE DUAL PROGRAM WORK?
Interested students apply in their junior year of undergraduate school and should also be on track to graduate during the spring of the next academic year. The BSW Scholars program is designed with a commitment of three-years in order to help BSW scholars transition smoothly into the field of Child Welfare.
- Complete BSW Coursework & graduate from undergraduate career.
- Intern at New York City Administration of Children’s Services.
- Transition into the Children’s Corps program after completing year one.
- Attend and complete a 4-week unpaid Summer Training Academy in July with the new Children’s Corps class you will be part of.
- Placed in a 2-year full-time job with benefits working with children and families at one of Children’s Corp’s partner agencies throughout NYC & Westchester.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
This dual program is a perfect opportunity for social work undergraduate juniors passionate about working with children and families. In addition, the BSW program is well suited for students looking to work towards their career goals in a supportive environment and obtain secured employment upon graduation. By participating in this program, students gain:
- A specialization in child welfare work through a senior-year internship placement at NYC’s Administration for Children’s Services.
- Full-time, post-graduate employment (with salary & benefits).
- A connection between best-practice theory and real-world practice.
- Three year on-going professional development and the potential to become a leader in the field.
- A very close and supportive network of Children’s Corps professionals, peers, and alumni.
- Must be an undergraduate junior & social work major.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in social work classes and an overall GPA of 2.5.
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or DACA recipient.
- Plan to be a matriculated senior in the fall of the next academic year.
- Plan to be graduating in the spring of the next academic year with a BSW.
All students must have the degree by June in order to begin Children’s Corps.
Interested students should submit an application before the listed deadline. After receiving and reviewing applications, only selected BSW applicants will be invited for an interview held in New York City. Details regarding the interview process will be communicated to those selected for an in-person interview. Offers to join the BSW Scholars Program are made within three weeks after the interview.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
Deadline: April 19, 2021 (11:59pm EST)
Children’s Corps notifies applicants who are invited to an interview or waitlisted by:
Monday, April 26 2021
Interview dates for all BSW Applicants:
Saturday, May 8, 2021
Saturday, May 15, 2021
Children’s Corps notifies candidates of acceptance into the program or if waitlisted a couple weeks after the interview.
After submitting your application, we will review it and determine if you will be invited for an interview. Interviews must be done in person and are only conducted in NYC. Only accepted or waitlisted applicants will be notified for an interview. If you are invited for an interview, you will be asked to submit an unofficial transcript and two letters of recommendation.
Recommenders can access the recommendation form using the link below:
NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS